Tuesday 2 December 2008

Museum of Nacional d’art de Catalunya

Museum of Nacional d’art de Catalunya (MNAC),Barcelona
On a recent visit to Barcelona, I visited the impressive MNAC gallery. My goal was to take pictures of art that I was drawn to and to look for any commonalities. In particular I was interested in looking at colour and composition. Below is the art that photographed. Flash photography is not permitted so some of the photographs are not in focus.


Caba, A 1870, Retrat del Pintor Joaquim Vayreda, Oil on Canvas, Held MNAC, Barcelona

I do not know if you can see it well but this chap has a beautiful bright blue crevat. This area is a strong splash of colour against his otherwise muted background tones of brown, black and white.


Mazzola, F 1491, Retrat d’Alessandro de Richao, Oil on Canvas, Held MNAC, Barcelona

Muted warm tones with a hint of pale green if the background


Homar, G 1906, Lampada de metall amb fris hexagonal, Waterclour on paper, Held MNAC, Barcelona

Oh I was excited to see Gaspar Homar's work in the MNAC. I had seen his work once before at the Metropolitan Museum in New York and had forgotten that I loved his watercolours. Oddly enough these watercolours are designs for cabinets, for which he is best known. A common theme of muted washed out colours with stronger gold and greens.


Desconegut, P 1485, Retrat de Kunigunda d’Astria, Oil on board, Held MNAC, Barcelona

FRUITY! I was particulary drawn to the warm orange tones with the gold hat set within a darker background.


Cossa, F 1460, Mare de Deu amb el Nen Jesus I un Angel, Material unkown, Held MNAC, Barcelona

I was still drawn to the gold and black tones within this painting but I think the wallpaper in the background drew my attention more. I like the contrast of the dark muted green with the red flowers with a hint of gold for their stamens.


Overall running theme of muted colours. Black and gold being especially common. All with a stronger colour of green, orange, red and blue within a smaller area of the painting.

No comments: