Sunday 11 January 2009

Elizabeth Terry

A friend of mine had a rather famous restaurant, Elizabeth’s on 37th in Savannah, Georgia. Elizabeth was telling me how she knew nothing about being a chef but got it in her head to open a place. She turned out to be very successful. She was doing a bit of art on the side and the class she wanted to take was not available. A lecturer persuaded her to take a pottery class and reluctantly, she agreed. After she took the first class, she knew she had to sell her restaurant. Her heart had been taken by pottery.

Elizabeth on 37th, Savannah, Georgia


Elizabeth Terry's Sculptures


I can relate to that feeling. It was the same when I first tried watercolours. After my first class in watercolours I could not go back to acrylics or oils. I loved the dreamy and sometimes eerie effects you can achieve. I love that you need absolute concentration and that it has taught me discipline. You can correct a mistake in oils and acrylics but one knock of the arm by a 5 year old and all your watercolour is down the Sewanee.

No comments: