Saturday 31 January 2009

Florida

Florida- my next subject area
I was born in Tampa, Florida and I am a third generation Floridian. This is very rare as most folks in Florida have moved there at one point in their life. I moved away from Florida when I was ten. Even then I knew it was a place I did not belong. The one word that I can surmise my experience of Florida is “fake”. I have returned periodically and am fascinated by the architecture that is made to look like it has some age and culture. Most folks I know there are very concerned about the car they drive and, unlike me, would never consider driving a banger. Some of my friends from the area have already had Botox and plastic surgery is obviously rampant. Needless to say they look at me in my jeans and “orthopedic” shoes and want to make me over, either that or have given me up as a lost cause and chase me out of town with burning sticks.

Now Florida does have some good points. It has a heavy Hispanic influence and therefore has some of the best Cuban food ever. I love their slow cooked meats over black beans and yellow rice. Yum! Another aspect of Florida that I enjoy is the hidden aspect. My parents go to an island called Little Gasparilla, just north of Boca Grande. It is 7 miles long and ½ mile wide. There are no bridges going to the island and therefore no cars. The water taxi (40 min ride from mainland) will drop you off and you have to ferry your luggage and provisions to your house. The water on the island is not drinkable so you have to bring enough water for you and your pets visit. There are no shops, nothing! It takes a few days to adjust. I recommend knowing your fellow travelers as, well, the shining comes to mind.

The island is mainly a wildlife preserve with a few houses at each end. The parts I love about the island are: Sharks teethe- you can find loads of pre historic sharks teethe on the beach-they were all over Florida but have all been collected by people, Dolphins, Mackerel –swarming everywhere and you can catch them from the beach with a net, Manatees- Usually on the inlet side versus gulf, Owls, Snakes, Turtles – both sea and regular, Armadillos, You can walk for miles with no shoes, No one is around, Fishing, Strange creatures captured in bait nets and …there are actually lots more things but this is all I have for now.







This is Florida’s culture. Not the immense concrete or multitude of theme parks. My point for adding this to my blog is that in my next subject I want to step outside of my comfort zone and do a sea scene. Sea scenes usually make my skin crawl, as I have been exposed to so very many super cheesy decorations at various holiday condos at the beach. I had been toying with the idea for a while, then the lovely pinky Sue have me a wee book on Ernst Haecke, I knew it was a sign. Thanks Sue!!!
Haecke


So I am off to Florida at Easter for a, um, well, exploratory trip of course.

No comments: