Saturday 8 November 2008

Study for Provodores

Octopus






My thoughts for doing this sketch (above)was to just start painting and to develop a usable image for a business. The watercolour was the product of a real (dead) octopus that Provodores gave me and some live videos on the Internet. I was intending to capture movement of a swimming octopus within the picture and still have realistic close up details.
Octopus can be a delicious dish and is a delicacy in some countries. It is readily found in Cornish seas and is surprisingly discarded or used as bait. Provodores are trying to start up a Pulpo (Spanish for octopus) festival to draw attention to Cornish natural resources.

One idea for a project is to look at "wallpaper" with octopus, jellyfish, crabs and lobsters put into Cornish (maybe further afield) fish restaurants and look at the subconscious affects of diners ordering. Theorising that having a large design in a prominent area could increase sales with subconscious suggestion or even decrease sales by beautifying and personalising the product. I use wallpaper in inverted commas because I am questioning the permanent nature of my designs with their dramatic nature. I am mulling over the idea of wall hangings.

No comments: